|Gluten free flour mix made in the Thermomix is so easy and it will save you money too!|
Making your own gluten free flour is really simple with the Thermomix. It's much cheaper than buying it pre-made and doesn't contain all those nasty preservatives and mystery ingredients some brands use.
This recipe was inspired by Thank Heaven's gluten free flour mix. It's my go to site for making flour or finding substitutes when I am missing an ingredient for a recipe. You'll find a few different mixes on her sight and a great summary of the various gluten free flour options and their substitutes.
You can easily double the recipe to makes a big batch if you do a lot of baking. Take note, it does not all fit in the Thermomix bowl at once so my kitchen gets a bit messy when I mix big batches.
My chef trained hubby is always appalled at the mess I make when I'm in the kitchen. He is very methodical and uses only what's required. I on the other hand tend to pull out every appliance I think I may need, along with multiple bowls, measuring cups, jugs and various stirring/scraping contraptions. Plus I go about things the long and hard way, but that's all part of the learning process isn't it!
Here's what you'll need:
- 100 g white rice
- 50 g buckwheat (or substitute with dry chickpeas)
- 50 g sorghum flour
- 100 g potato starch
- 200 g tapioca pearls or flour
- 5 g guar gum
- Add rice and buckwheat to the thermomix bowl and mill for 1 min, speed 9
- Add Tapioca pearls if you don't have flour and mill for 1 minute, speed 9.
- Let the Thermomix cool down, it can get quite warm when milling. Take this opportunity to check that the grains are a fine flour consistency, if not mill for another 30 secs, speed 9.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix for 10 secs speed 6
This recipe is great for pancakes, muffins, veggie fritters and biscuits. I used this one to make my favourite banana bread on the weekend which I am trying to convert to a Thermomix recipe. It's getting there, but haven't quite nailed it in the Thermie yet.
Please share your favourite gluten free flour recipes and the amazing goods you bake with it. I'm always looking for healthy and simple ideas. Happy baking!